shōmi! is a Canadian manufacturer of futuristic, interactive, unique displays and structures. For over 20-years we have been supplying some of the largest companies in the world with the products they need to grab their customers’ attention at tradeshows and other large-scale events, store rebrands and pop-up shops and just about anywhere that eyeballs might look. We are passionate experts that love this work and want to bring our customers’ visions to life. We embrace new challenges in a dynamic work environment with tight-deadlines and demonstrate our core values every single day.
Our core values mean everything to us. If you do not demonstrate these values every day in your personal life, you simply will not be a fit with shōmi!
- WE ARE NICE – We are a positive, fun, helpful and respectful bunch
- WE HAVE INTEGRITY – We keep our word even when it’s difficult, inconvenient or expensive
- WE REALLY CARE – We listen, get to know you and really understand your challenges
- WE ARE INNOVATIVE – We bring the cool and unconventional to the industry
- WE STRIVE FOR EXCELLENCE – We look for ways to improve ourselves… All the time!
As the Fabrication Manager, you are responsible for the daily oversight of all production-related tasks.
Fundamentally, you are responsible for ensuring our customers’ happiness by completing projects on time, on budget and with the high-quality that shomi’s customers have come to expect. This is a hands-on position that will require day-to-day fabrication, as well as oversite of fabrication staff and projects.
The successful candidate will be creative and a problem-solver, able to visualize complex challenges and implement innovative solutions. The Fabrication Manager is expected to have the experience and knowledge required below.
- Fabricate and weld steel and aluminum using TIG/MIG (must be CWB certified at a minimum);
- Assemble metal components ensuring all tolerances are met;
- Create and follow project drawings (preference for someone with design experience or who has worked with design agencies);
- Wire low voltage (12 v/24 v) lighting components for LED lit signage; and
- Form, roll, bend, and swage tube (prerequisite skill is not required, but must be learned on the job)
- Determine short-term staffing levels (i.e. whether temporary labour is needed and how many hours are required);
- Keep production labour utilization of billable work at 75% or higher each week;
- Allocate production staff to each project to meet all customer and internal deadlines;
- Complete non-conformance reports (“NCR”) when errors are made and the product leaves shomi’s facility;
- Document core value violations when production staff members do not adhere to shomi’s core values;
- Confirm all staff members and temporary workers are properly licensed (as applicable) and trained to work in this environment in a safe manner;
- Consistently provides opportunities for staff to improve themselves through unplanned on-the-job training and scheduled training sessions; and
- Performs quarterly staff reviews
- Maintain facility in line with 5S principles;
- Keep abreast of all relevant employee health and safety standards and ensure the facility meets these requirements; and
- Preserve the quality of equipment by scheduling and completing preventative maintenance
Inventory & Logistics:
- Oversee the procurement of inventory (purchase orders, item receipts, etc.);
- Ensure sufficient levels of inventory are on hand at all times such that there are no “stock-outs” during a project;
- Perform monthly inventory counts to reconcile levels of stock physically counted against system quantities; and
- Reduce waste by determining the most efficient way to utilize inventory, equipment and time
- Periodically review the work of employees to check the project specifications and overall quality of work against shomi’s standards (and document NCR’s as applicable). Every fabrication project that leaves this facility is the responsibility of the Fabrication Manager
- Examine and approve time sheets and bill of materials for all projects and investigate significant discrepancies to budgeted labour and materials
- Applicant must be proficient in verbal and written English and be comfortable learning project management software
If you read the above and thought “I can do that” and “I have those core values” then we would love to hear from you.